WHO chief reassures ‘worried’ Tenerife residents ahead of hantavirus ship arrival expected Sunday

WHO chief reassures ‘worried’ Tenerife residents ahead of hantavirus ship arrival expected Sunday

WHO chief reassures worried Tenerife residents – The World Health Organization (WHO) director general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has addressed growing concerns among residents of the Spanish island of Tenerife as preparations intensify for the arrival of a cruise ship carrying passengers infected with hantavirus. The vessel, MV Hondius, is set to dock at Granadilla port on Sunday at 5:30 a.m. local time, according to Oceanwide Expeditions, the cruise operator. The ship is transporting nearly 150 individuals, three of whom have succumbed to the disease since its outbreak began. Tedros, who is in Tenerife to oversee the evacuation process, emphasized the importance of public confidence in the measures being taken to ensure safety.

Reassurance on Public Health Risk

In a letter to Tenerife’s residents, Tedros acknowledged the anxiety surrounding the ship’s arrival but clarified that the hantavirus outbreak, primarily transmitted through rodent droppings, is not comparable to the global pandemic of Covid-19. “The current public health risk from hantavirus remains minimal,” he stated, underscoring that the assessment was not made lightly. The WHO chief highlighted that while the situation is serious, the measures in place are designed to mitigate any potential spread to the local population.

“Residents of Tenerife can be assured that the hantavirus outbreak is not a repeat of the pandemic we faced last year. The risk to the broader community is extremely low, and every precaution is being taken to ensure the safety of both passengers and the island.”

Tedros praised Spain’s government for its decision to accept the ship, calling it an “act of solidarity and moral responsibility.” He noted that Tenerife was selected due to its advanced infrastructure and medical resources, which are critical for handling the evacuation efficiently. “This location is equipped to provide the necessary care and support to ensure passengers reach safety,” he said.

Evacuation Plan and Safety Protocols

Spain’s health authorities have outlined a meticulous evacuation plan for the MV Hondius. Upon arrival, passengers will be transported to the mainland using sealed, guarded vehicles to prevent any direct interaction with the public. The process is expected to begin around 8 a.m., with groups of guests and a limited number of crew members disembarking in a controlled manner. The Ministry of Health confirmed that all individuals will be kept separate from residential areas until they are repatriated to their home countries.

Spain’s interior minister, Fernando Grande-Marlaska, announced that 358 security personnel will be deployed to assist with the operation. “The coordination between agencies is essential to ensure the process is both secure and efficient,” he said. Meanwhile, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is sending epidemiologists and medical professionals to evaluate the risk for American passengers. The agency stated that the current assessment indicates the risk to the general U.S. population remains “extremely low,” thanks to the expertise of the CDC in managing the Andes variant of the hantavirus.

“The outbreak involves the Andes strain, which we have extensive knowledge of. This allows us to implement targeted measures that reduce the likelihood of further transmission,” said a CDC official.

Once passengers arrive on Tenerife, they will be transported via small inflatable boats. After disembarking, 14 Spanish travelers will be moved to a military hospital for evaluation, while the rest will be repatriated directly. At the hospital, patients will reside in individual rooms, with no visitors allowed, and undergo a PCR test upon arrival. A follow-up test will be conducted after seven days to monitor their health status. “Active monitoring will also include twice-daily temperature checks to detect any symptoms early,” the health ministry added.

Tensions and Protests in Spain

The arrival of the MV Hondius has sparked debate in Spain. Fernando Clavijo, the leader of the Canary Islands, initially expressed opposition to the ship docking in Tenerife, citing concerns about the local population’s exposure to the virus. However, his stance has since softened, with his government committing to support the evacuation. “We will no longer oppose the operation, as it is necessary to protect the lives of those affected,” Clavijo stated.

Despite the government’s assurances, local workers have voiced their frustrations. Port employees held protests on Friday, highlighting a lack of communication regarding the potential risks. “We want to ensure our safety, but we need more transparency about the steps being taken,” said one protest organizer. These concerns come amid the broader context of public anxiety, with some residents worried about the impact of the outbreak on their daily lives.

“While we understand the urgency of the situation, it is vital that all stakeholders are informed and prepared. This includes the people who work in our ports and the communities near the docking area,” said a local official.

The ship’s presence has also raised questions about the cruise industry’s preparedness for such health crises. The MV Hondius is one of several vessels affected by the hantavirus, which has caused outbreaks in various parts of the world. Spain’s Secretary General for Civil Protection and Emergencies, Virginia Barcones, confirmed that the vessel will anchor at a designated location within the port, chosen as the “safest” for the operation. “Every decision has been made with the safety of passengers and the public in mind,” she said.

International Collaboration and Next Steps

International cooperation is playing a key role in the evacuation effort. Germany, France, Belgium, Ireland, and the Netherlands have pledged to send aircraft to retrieve their nationals from the MV Hondius. This collective response reflects the global concern over the hantavirus and the need for a unified approach to containment. The U.S. will also deploy a charter aircraft equipped with a biocontainment unit, similar to those used during the height of the pandemic, to transport American passengers back home.

As the clock ticks down to Sunday’s arrival, all parties involved are finalizing the logistics of the operation. Tedros, alongside Spain’s Minister of Health, Monica Garcia, met with officials on Saturday to review the plan. “We will do everything tomorrow to make the operation a success,” he said, reinforcing the commitment to a seamless and secure process. The evacuation is seen as a critical test of Spain’s preparedness for health emergencies, with officials aiming to set a precedent for future responses.

Residents of Tenerife are being urged to stay informed and follow guidelines to minimize any risk. Public health campaigns have been launched to educate people about the hantavirus, its transmission methods, and how to protect themselves. “Knowledge is power, and by understanding the virus, we can work together to ensure its impact is contained,” said a spokesperson for the regional health department.

The MV Hondius will remain in Tenerife until all passengers have been safely transferred. Its eventual departure will depend on the results of medical evaluations and the confirmation that the risk has been sufficiently managed. For now, the focus is on executing the evacuation plan with precision, balancing the needs of the affected individuals with the safety of the island’s residents.

Conclusion and Broader Implications

As the hantavirus outbreak continues to evolve, the MV Hondius’ arrival serves as a reminder of the interconnectedness of global health challenges. While the WHO has reassured the public that the situation is under control, the event underscores the importance of preparedness, transparency, and international collaboration. The success of this operation will not only impact the passengers but also influence how future health crises are managed in similar contexts.

The evacuation process in Tenerife is expected to conclude within 24 hours, with all passengers sent back to their home countries. The WHO chief remains confident that the measures in place will prevent any wider spread of the virus. “This is a testament to the resilience of our healthcare systems and the dedication of all those involved,” Tedros said, as he concluded his visit to the island. The outcome of this operation will be closely watched by public health officials worldwide, offering valuable insights into handling complex outbreaks in a timely and effective manner.